Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Grandma's Cream Filling

"This delicious almond custard is one of my family's favorite comfort foods.  My sister and I request that my Grandma make it for us often.  I love to eat it with sliced bananas!   
 
2 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
3 Tablespoons flour
3 egg yolks, beaten
2 Tablespoons butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
 
Spray the bottom of a medium saucepan with non-stick cooking spray (to ensure that custard won't stick to pan) and pour in milk.  Scald milk (heat milk just to the point before it's going to boil-about 180 degrees).  In a bowl, mix together sugar, cornstarch and flour.  Add to heated milk and cook on low until thickened, stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes.  Remove from the heat and stir in egg yolks, 1 Tablespoon at a time, stirring constantly.  Return pan to the heat and add butter and salt.  Stir until butter is completely melted (2-3 minutes).  Remove custard from the heat and allow to cool for 15-20 minutes.  Stir in almond and vanilla extracts.  Refrigerate.
 
TIP:  This custard is delicious served alone or with sliced bananas.  It would also make a delicious filling for banana cream pie. 
 


2 comments:

  1. This sounds so delicious, thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks For commenting and for visiting my blog Rosie! Let me know if you try the Cream Filling and what you think. I know you will love it!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! Thanks!